Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A sample Ballot for the City of Berkeley - 1950

The sample ballot shown tells of the local political pursuits of Berkeley City in 1950. They were all well known around town at that time. It is a memorable time for me as the Korean War began and a two years later I found myself embroiled in this war for 16 months of my life. Upon my return after two years in the Army, I found Berkeley City in a transition stage as the expansion of  McDonnell Aircraft Corporation changed the face of Airport Road dramatically. All the many fields we use to hunt rabbits on were now either built upon or paved over with black top parking lots. When I travel through the area today, I sometimes reflect on the kaleidoscopic memories of my boyhood days growing up in Berkeley City, MO. It really was a great town to grow up in!
                                                                             (Ballot furnished by Shirley (Strassner) Wilkins)

No comments:

Post a Comment